Project content. Why is it the first time and what does it give?
The Videotext project aims to develope an online editorial system for kinetically visualizing genetic pathways of a literary text, and it opens totally new opportunities for reading – the genetic reading, which makes possible the text perception "from within" its creative process. still work-in-progress, but already shows its potential as a valuable aid for scholars, tutors, editors and all software and internet users in their following the textual changes and making comments to avant-text from manuscript to printed copies. The Videotext digital multimedia system allows the reader to follow the sequence of text writing, text generating and text modification and further changes made by author at all stages of text formation. Our goal is to visualize the transformation of the text concept from original sketches and options into the final text version by the specially developed computer program for the digital animation of the written verbal characters.
The project implements the unique direction of research in the field of Digital Humanities, in particular, the scientific e-publishing technology - Digital Scholarly Editing, providing for the first time a genetic text reading and the storing of genetic text information.
The project objectives include:
- Development of linguistic and textological software for text visualization and text rendering processes.
- Elaborating the principles for dynamic adaptation of the text representation and the reader's perception, taking into account the physiological and psycholinguistic aspects of electronic reading.
- Creation and improvement of the software environment for the task solution of visualization of the writing process, accessible to a wide range of users.
- Development of the special semiotic system of moving graphic symbols and effects, named Video Typography, which allows to reflect: 1) basic text operations (appearance, disappearance, displacement, replacement) - with different types of animation; 2) the context of the writing process (conjugated substitutions, variants not included in the manuscript, etc.) and 3) basic reasons for text changes, which can be emphasized with static markers (color, font style and so on).
- Preparation of digital educational, scholarly and popular scientific editions (special and regular), representing videotexts of artistic, journalistic and advertising works, as well as official, legal documents, written in Russian and
other languages. The main goal of such an editions is to master the technique of various kinds of working with text — rewriting, copywriting, editing, and translation into a foreign language and to develop the cognitive and stylistic skills of the text creating and editing.
- Technological support for the entering into a cultural turnover the genetic textual information (artistic, journalistic, business texts), which was previously inaccessible to the active reader's perception.
Since the origins of writing and printing, the reader was able to see and consistently perceive only written results. Modern technological advances in the field of electronic communications provide an opportunity to observe and comprehend the processes of writing and text formation.
The traditional scholarly editions represent versions of the text in appendixes, and it makes impossible the process of continuous reading. In special cases, the drafts are published with many footnotes according to the editing versions, which makes them difficult to read and suitable only for scientific research: they do not allow perceiving the text as a whole in the process of its creation. Thus until now, this kind of textual information, which represents cultural and scientific interests, has been available only to a narrow circle of specialists.
Modern high tech electronic publishing only has made the process of reading more convenient, it did not significantly enrich the reading process and actually changed nothing.
The project is unprecedented either in Russia or abroad. Among the academic publishing projects in this research field, which are similar to the project "Videotext" in their aims and goals, the following must be mentioned:
and some others.
In the future the Videotext project can be integrated with modern digital publishing resources (for example, Fundamental electronic library “Russian literature and folklore"). However, none of them is intended to solve the problem of creating an animated presentation of the text history.
The XML format of Videotext software is compatible with most common browsers and offers a set of features for animating textual graphics to display dynamic genetic reading mode . It uses a specially developed semiotic system of moving graphic symbols and effects, named Video Typography, which allows to reflect: 1) basic text operations (appearance, disappearance, displacement, replacement) - with different types of animation; 2) the context of the writing process (conjugated substitutions, variants not included in the manuscript, etc.) and 3) basic reasons for text changes, which can be emphasized with static markers (color, font style and so on).
Thus, the innovative model of reading is developed and offered to the user - the reader explores text development by means of a free shifting from the initial to the final edition and back. It gives the reader an opportunity to focus on any revisions and replacements at each of the text generating stages and to follow dynamics of the author thinking process. The program introduces a new dimension, allowing to read the text not only "forward", but also "into the depths", and "from the depths" of the text generating process.
Alexander Pushkin’s “Arzrum Journey Notebook” poems have been currently presented with Videotext software and are published as a scholarly digital edition, including videotexts with textual comments, main editorial variants, manuscripts, transcripts and lifetime publications of poems.
By dynamically presenting the development of a text instead of merely juxtapositioning its variants, a whole new range of possibilities for genetic reading is opened up. Instead of unquestioningly consuming, by "reading from within" any user will be able to experience a text as source and result of a living process and co-create the text together with its original author.
G.V. Vekshin (author of the idea and project concept, chief)
N.V. Pertsov (chief textologist)
E.V. Khomyakova (project manager, editor)
M.N. Gertsev (programmer)
A.S. Starostin (consulting programmer)
N.A. Andreyev (technical editor)
S.A. Geychenko (creative manager)
On the moment the programm's web version is available: Videotext 2.0. Its minimalistic interface is compatible with any browser and platform. The software provides visualization of transforming, becoming text, if you put in sequence of text's changes.
Vekshin G.V., Khomyakova E.V. Technology of the text creating multimedia presentation (Videotext project) [Electronic resource]
2. Khomyakova E.V. Text creation as an object of reading: Videotext technology in educational digital resource
// Bulletin MSRU. – 2015. – №3. – P. 65–71. – (Russian filology).
3. Vekshin G.V., Khomyakova E.V. Problems of creative history's representation in printed and digital editions // Proceedings of the institutions of higher education. Issues of the graphic arts and publishing. – 2015. – №4. – P. 22–27.
Georgy Vekshin: email@example.com, +7-910-4352410
Ekaterina Khomyakova: firstname.lastname@example.org